WHO: Sierra Leone Ebola flare-up over

Mar 17, 2016, 6:36 PM EDT
Soldier-scientists begin closure of Ebola testing labs. (Source: Army Medicine/flickr)
Soldier-scientists begin closure of Ebola testing labs. (Source: Army Medicine/flickr)
The World Health Organization declared on Thursday that a recent flare-up of Ebola in Sierra Leone has been contained, and is over. The 42-day incubation period had passed since the last known victim tested negative for the virus that killed thousands of people in the country. The New York Times reports:
 
In Sierra Leone, 3,590 people died during the epidemic that ravaged the country along with its neighbors, Guinea and Liberia, where it killed thousands more.
 
While the Ebola outbreak has been largely under control in the region for months, several lingering cases of the virus continue to emerge. Health officials said that might be the case for months to come. Ebola survivors are believed to harbor the virus in some bodily fluids for several months after being infected and can transmit it through sexual intercourse.
 
But, meanwhile, two people in Guinea have tested positive for the virus. Reuters reports:
 
Two people have tested positive for Ebola in Guinea, the government said on Thursday, hours after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared neighboring Sierra Leone's latest outbreak was over.
 
Four people were tested and two of them were found to have Ebola, a government agency spokesman said. They were all from Korokpara, a village where three people from the same family have died in the past few weeks from diarrhea and vomiting.
 
"All of the sick people have been taken to the Nzerekore treatment center," the National Coordination of the Fight against Ebola in Guinea's Fode Tass Sylla said.
 
The world's worst recorded Ebola epidemic is believed to have started in Guinea and killed about 2,500 people by December last year, at which point the WHO said the virus was no longer being actively transmitted.
 
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE