Kenyan students march to demand security

Apr 08, 2015, 7:50 AM EDT
Kenyans take part in a march demanding greater national security on April 7, 2015, following last week's massacre by Somalia's Shebab Islamists, ahead of a candlelit vigil on the final day of mourning for the 148 people killed by the militants.
AFP/Getty Images

Kenyan university students marched in the capital on Tuesday to demand more security from the government after gunmen killed 148 people at a campus in the eastern town of Garissa last week, Reuters reports.

Last Thursday, gunmen from the al Qaeda-aligned group al Shabaab stormed Garissa University College, some 200 km (120 miles) from the Somali border.

On Tuesday, hundreds of students from different universities walked through Nairobi's streets, singing and shouting.

Some headed to the president's office to present a petition. "Enough is enough. The government must tackle the issue of insecurity seriously," said John Derrick, a student at the Technical University of Kenya.

Government officials were not immediately available to comment.

Hundreds of people have been holding a candle-lit vigil in Kenya's capital, Nairobi, reports the BBC. A temporary shrine of crosses and candles has been set up and photos of the 148 victims of the group's deadliest attack in Kenya are on show. Earlier, about 2,500 people marched in Garissa against the Somali militants.

Kenya has frozen the accounts of 86 people thought to be funding al-Shabab. Thirteen hawalas - informal money transfer services - have also been closed down. Hawalas are widely used by Somalis who depend on relatives abroad as a cheap and quick means to receive money.

Interior Minister Joseph Nkaiserry said the names of the individuals and hawalas had not yet been released. Separately Five Kenyans appeared in court in Nairobi on Tuesday for suspected links with the attackers.

The court agreed to the prosecution's request to detain them for another 30 days, while police investigate whether they supplied weapons to the attackers, Kenya's Capital FM reports. A sixth suspect, a Tanzanian, is being held in the north-eastern town of Garissa, which is about 150km (90 miles) from the border with Somalia.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE