Kenya recovers raid victims' bodies

Apr 03, 2015, 6:58 AM EDT
Paramedics attend to an injured Kenyan student as she is wheeled into Kenyatta National Hospital in Nairobi on April 2, 2015, following an attack at Garissa University College. Masked gunmen from Somalia's Shebab Islamist group massacred at least 147 Kenyan students on April 2 in a day-long college campus siege, the deadliest attack in the country since US embassy bombings in 1998.
AFP/Getty Images

The bodies of many of those killed by Islamist militants at a Kenyan university are being moved to the capital Nairobi for identification, reports the BBC.

At least 147 people died when al-Shabab militants stormed Garissa University in north-eastern Kenya, near Somalia. The mortuaries in Garissa have been unable to cope, and many of the students killed came from other parts of the country.

Four of the gunmen involved were killed by security forces. 

Burials for the Muslims killed in the attack are expected to start taking place. A dusk-to-dawn curfew has been imposed across north-eastern Kenya.

Interior Minister Joseph Nkaissery said four gunmen strapped with explosives were behind the attack, the same number that killed 67 people during the 2013 bloodbath at a shopping mall in Nairobi, writes Reuters.

"The operation has ended successfully. Four terrorists have been killed," Nkaissery told Kenyan media. Kenyan police chief Joseph Boinet said the attackers had "shot indiscriminately" when they entered the university compound.

Police and soldiers surrounded the campus and exchanged gunfire with the attackers throughout the day but were repeatedly repelled.

At least 79 people were injured and many airlifted to Nairobi, Kenya's national disaster body said.

Al Shabaab, who carried out the deadly attack on the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi in 2013, claimed responsibility for the raid on the campus in Garissa, a town 200 km (120 miles) from the Somali border.

The group has links to al Qaeda and a record of raids on Kenyan soil in retaliation for Nairobi sending troops to fight it in its home state of Somalia.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE