• Pin It
  • Pin It

Five charged for alleged role in Nice terror attack

Jul 22, 2016, 12:53 AM EDT
Tributes for terror victims in France
(Source: Jorbasa Fotografie/flickr)

France has charged five suspects, including four men and a woman, for their alleged role in helping Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, who ploughed into crowds celebrating Bastille Day in Nice, killing 84 people and injuring hundreds of others last week. Prosecutor François Molins said that the suspects were involved in planning the attack in addition to providing logistical support to Mohamed.

Authorities said there are evidences to show that the Nice massacre was not a “lone wolf” attack but was planned for up to a year, writes The Guardian. Addressing a press conference on Thursday, Molins said Mohamed sent a text message to one of the suspects after the attack on the offices of the Charlie Hebdo magazine in January 2015 and praised “Allah’s soldier for finishing the job.”

Although Islamic State claimed responsibility for Nice attack, the investigators have not found a direct link between Mohamed, the suspects and the jihadist group, Molins added.

The government also launched an investigation and a “technical evaluation” of security arrangements in Nice on the day of attack, writes the BBC. Earlier, French newspaper Libération reported that the entrance to the walkway in Nice was guarded by only one local police car, which had neither enough time nor firepower to stop the lorry, a claim that was disputed by Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve.